Our website uses cookies to offer you an optimal navigation. By continuing your visit to our website, you accept the use of cookies. Read more

What are the regulations for seasonal rental in France?

When you decide to make seasonal rentals, it is important that you learn about the regulations, both national and specific to your municipality. Here is a first look at the regulations but we advise you to ensure that it is accurate and up-to-date directly with the municipal services or to seek advice from all legal professionals.

In order to know the regulations applicable to seasonal rental, it is first necessary to distinguish the different categories of dwellings.


The dwelling you rent, in whole or in part, is, within the meaning of the Act, either your principal residence or your second home. The principal residence is occupied housing 8 months minimum per year except professional obligation, reason of health or force majeure. Conversely, a second home is occupied less than 4 months per year (pied-à-terre for example).

To this distinction can be added a specific categorization, with particular steps to be carried out.

Furnished Accommodation

The renting of a furnished apartment is the renting of a living quarters furnished repeatedly and for short periods to a passing clientele. The furnished houses, villas, apartments or studios are for the exclusive use of the tenant and are offered for rent to a passing clientele who make a stay characterized by a rental per day, per week Or by the month, and who does not elect domicile there. To rent a furnished apartment, you must respect a number of steps you can find here.

Guest rooms

The guest rooms are defined as furnished rooms in the inhabitant in order to accommodate tourists, for a fee, for one or more nights, with services (at least the supply of linen and breakfast) . Thus, the guest room differs from a furnished accommodation in the sense that the owner necessarily resides on the premises - which is not always the case for the owner of a furnished apartment - and that, in addition, In a furnished apartment, a guest room can not be classified according to the official star system. The operator of a guest house may or may not do his professional activity.

For more information, please visit the website of the Directorate-General for Enterprise (DGE).


If you rent your main residence (see definition above or here) in full for a period of less than 120 days per year, you do not have to declare your accommodation in town hall.
You can, for example, rent your entire accommodation 1 to 2 months during holidays or several weekends per year. Rental of a private room within a larger unit is not affected by these restrictions.

If this is not your principal residence, you must declare the dwelling in town hall on this form.


In some cities, the renting of your second home (eg pied-à-terre) requires the prior authorization or temporary authorization of the town hall to modify the use of your accommodation in local intended for tourist rental. It may concern:
  • The municipalities with more than 200,000 inhabitants,
  • The communes of the small Parisian crown (Hauts-de-Seine, Seine-Saint-Denis and Val-de-Marne departments),
  • As well as municipalities with more than 50 000 inhabitants with tense areas (a strong imbalance between housing supply and demand).
As mentioned above, this authorization for a change of use does not concern you if your property is your main residence and if you rent it for short periods over a period not exceeding 4 months per year.

To date, the change of use is in force in Paris, Lyon, Nice, Marseille and Strasbourg.

Paris: For more information, see the website of the Paris City Hall or contact the Habitat Department at the following address: dlh-bplh@paris.fr
Strasbourg: For more information, consult the documents made available by the municipality or contact the Eurométropole de Strasbourg at the following address: src_mtt@strasbourg.eu.
Lyon: For more information, consult the documents made available by the municipality or contact the Métropole de Lyon at the following address: urbanisme-autorisations@mairie-lyon.fr.
Marseille: For more information, consult the documents made available by the municipality or contact the Town hall at the following address: webmestre@mairie-marseille.fr.
Nice: For more information, consult the documents made available by the municipality or contact the Métropole de Nice by calling 00 33 (0) 4 97 13 26 86.
Was this article helpful? Yes  No